This social skills group counseling curriculum is awesome for helping develop self-control, emotional regulation, and positive relationship skills with lower elementary students. It has a strong focus on movement-based, play-based, and hands-on activities. This group serves as a wonderful tier 2 intervention. Created for small groups but also great in individual counseling!
It is very similar to this boys group,
however, every single scenario and activity has been completely edited to be specific for younger students (and to be gender neutral).
This ASCA-aligned resource is a complete 9-week group counseling curriculum. It is a ready-to-go group but it is also flexible. You can easily pick and choose which sessions to do, re-order them, and/or incorporate books to lengthen the group further. Book companion suggestions are included, as are “any time” discussion questions to use as needed. It is not low-prep, but I think you’ll find the prep well worth the quality of the group – and the fact that all prep is one time only and you’ll use this group over and over again!
- Session 1: Welcome and Introductions (expectations activity, personal strength cut and paste)
- Session 2: Road Trip (board game on self-awareness and self-esteem)
- Session 3: Bugged Feelings (identifying and expressing uncomfortable feelings memory game and feeling scaling)
- Session 4: Taking Care of Bugged Feelings (square breathing and self-regulation board game)
- Session 5: Self Control Part 1 (story, strategies, and practice activities)
- Session 6: Self Control Part 2 (using your social filter + how to show self-control in different scenarios)
- Session 6: The Good Sport (story + scenarios on showing good sportsmanship and teamwork)
- Session 8: Conflict Goals and Fouls (solving conflict peacefully)
- Session 9: Caring for Others (how to show you care + identifying emotions in others)
- Additional Components: reinforcement and coaching prompts, parent note, reminder bracelets, completion certificate, suggested book companion list, behavior management system, teacher pre/post survey
This group was created with K-2nd grade in mind. That said, kindergartners vary widely when they come to us! This group may not be a fit for all kinders; for some it may not be great until second semester, and it may not be a fit for some kinders at all. Please take the time to look through the preview to decide how this will work for your students. You know their developmental levels best!
✨Glowing Praise for This Resource✨
“This resource was just what I needed[…] The games and activities really helped my students to stay engaged each week and we got to talk about some great topics!” -adaywithmsgray
”I would like to say I LOVE every resource from The Responsive Counselor! In regards to this social skills group, I used it with my a group of 3rd grade students and it was really engaging and relevant! I really appreciated that everything was easy to print and low prep!” -Sydney H.
**Open the preview for more details! **